Ask the Author: Shannon Thompson

Monday, June 29, 2015

Ask the Author

This time on Ask the Author...
I'll be interviewing Shannon Thompson the author of 'Take Me Tomorrow' and 'November Snow'.

Who is Shannon Thompson?




Shannon A. Thompson is a 24-year-old author, avid reader, and habitual chatterbox. She was merely 16 when she was first published, and a lot has happened since then. Thompson’s work has appeared in numerous poetry collections and anthologies, and her first installment of The Timely Death Trilogy became Goodreads Book of the Month. She is currently represented by Clean Teen Publishing, and Minutes Before Sunset releases on July 28, 2015. 

As a novelist, poet, and blogger, Thompson spends her free time writing and sharing ideas with her black cat named after her favorite actor, Humphrey Bogart. Between writing and befriending cats, she graduated from the University of Kansas with a bachelor’s degree in English, and she travels whenever the road calls her.


What was your favorite part in your story 'Take Me Tomorrow'?

Although it is difficult to pick a scene, one of my favorite scenes to write was when Sophia and Noah get locked in the forgery together. To me, it was one of the first times Noah broke down and took down his defenses enough for me - the author - to see him, but it was also the first time Sophia experienced how torn up he is. It was emotional, but those emotions brought the reality of it all together, even when Sophia hasn’t seen the war or the other regions since she was a child.

Any secrets you can share about your next book/story?

For all of those wondering, yes, a sequel is written, but Take Me Yesterday is relying on readers for publication. Sharing and reviewing it helps tremendously, and the sequel does include many answers to popular questions: what are the other regions like? What happened to Sophia’s mother? What were with the flashbacks of her mother? Who is Lyn? Will Noah and Sophia see one another again? I will say one more thing. Take Me Yesterday does venture outside of the Topeka Region. 

What is your favorite part about writing?

Other than meeting fellow writers and readers, I love losing myself. When I write, I don’t exist. Hours can pass, and I am completely unaware. I become my characters, and they teach me about life and love and much more. My favorite moments are the moments characters surprise me, when I never see their actions or secrets or thoughts coming. They send chills up my spine. 

Who is your favorite author?

I don’t have a favorite of anything, really, but I love Meg Cabot, Lynne Ewing, Cassandra Clare, Billy Collins, and more. Too many more.

What is your favorite book/series?

Again, it is impossible to chose a favorite book or series, but I love 1984 by George Orwell, and I often find myself returning to it. In YA series, I loved Daughters of the Moon, 1-800-Where-R-You series, and The Mortal Instruments. I could go on forever.

What inspired you to write in the beginning?

As a child, I suffered from night terrors and nightmares. When I say “suffer”, I mean that I could not differentiate between reality and fiction. Even after I woke up, I could see my dreams, and it was truly terrifying. My mother taught me to turn my struggles into stories, and my love for writing was born. When she died very suddenly, I knew I wanted to spend my life writing, so I started chasing a career in writing very young. 

Which character in 'Take Me Tomorrow' did you like writing about the most? The least?

Noah was very often both for me. Originally, he told half of the story (much like my other novels, which are told in dual perspectives) but it didn’t work out. When he was on drugs, he hardly made any sense, and when he was sober, he told too much. That’s when I realized Take Me Tomorrow was Sophia’s story - not his - and I hope the sequel releases because I think it gives great justice to Sophia and the others we didn’t get to learn enough about. Other than Noah, I think Lyn was my favorite, and Broden was the most difficult one. He’s so standoffish, and Lyn was always welcoming. 

Which character do you feel most represents you?

None of my characters are me, but Sophia is probably the closest in terms of physical life conditions. After my mother died, I was raised by my father and my brother, but we also had a husky named Shadow. I did live on a piece of land, and I used to check the acres with him. It was one of my favorite activities. Shadow inspired Argos, for sure, but Sophia is still very different from me, but she should be. She’s sixteen in a world very unlike my own. I wish I could say more, but I would end up spoiling Take Me Yesterday; however, I will say this - Sophia’s flashbacks are essential to her character - past, present, and future. 

What do you do in your spare time? 

I love to travel. I'm already hoping I can take another trip soon! I moved around a lot as a kid, so staying still doesn't feel natural to me. Taking a trip with a camera and a pen is when I feel most alive, but I also love watching old movies. There's a reason I named my cat Bogart - Humphrey Bogart is my favorite actor- and I also spend a lot of time watching Casablanca with my cat companion.

Thanks, Shannon! 

No comments :

Post a Comment