Review: 'Frostbite' by Richelle Mead

Sunday, July 5, 2015
2282133

Frostbite 

Richelle Mead 


WHEN LOVE AND JEALOUSY COLLIDE ON THE SLOPES, WINTER BREAK TURNS DEADLY...

Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi; the fiercest vampires - the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend, makes her a dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making Lissa one of them.


Rose has serious guy trouble. Her gorgeous tutor, Dimitri, has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason has a huge crush on her, and she keeps getting stuck in her best friend Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian.


Then a nearby Strigoi attack puts St. Vladimir's on high alert, and the Academy whisks its students away on a mandatory holiday ski trip. But the glittering winter landscape and posh Idaho resort only provide the illusion of safety. When three students run away to strike back against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. Only this time, Rose - and her heart - are in more danger than she ever could have imagined...

Travel Companion:

If I traveled with the main character Rose Hathaway, she would be:

The Thrill Seeker


She would go to all the places for adrenaline junkies. She would dive from high cliffs into shallow waters. She would be the one who wouldn't hesitate to join in a fight to defend her friends. Rose would be the one to choose the deadly, life-threatening adventures. (Which might result in a broken bone or two.) And she would be great at fighting. She would end up as a martial arts instructor if she wasn't busy protecting her best friend.
We would meet her recklessly jumping off a cliff. Of course, we would chicken out and back off. We would be impressed by Rose's reckless attitude and her fearlessness. We would become her friends after we take our own leap.

Rose was still the same Rose. Reckless and crazy. Fearless and defiant.



Everything was always fast and intense with me.
Page 213 'Frostbite'

But she became more reluctant because of what she saw at her Qualifier exam. I would be reluctant as well. She had to worry about the safety of her friends. And what she saw showed that the wards wouldn't always protect the Moroi from danger. She wanted to fight, but she also had a small part of her telling her not to fight.

Dare I say it? Gulp. She became cautious. (But not enough to cancel out all of her fighting spirit and recklessness.) Her emotions were a tumultuous mess, though. She had Lissa's dark emotions flowing into her. She had the fear of losing Lissa or Dimitri or any of her friends.
And at the ending...she became wiser. Older. She gained knowledge. She finally learned to use a silver stake. She also went through trauma and true struggle. Starvation. Dehydration. She watched her friends suffer. She suffered. And she grew wiser because of this. And more wary of the world around her.
I loved how Rose started to change in this book. In 'Vampire Academy', she was reckless. Nothing held her back. But with the pain she saw, she slowly became cautious. She became reluctant to throw herself into dangerous situations and dance around. She learned to not act like a child. (Even though she still was a child in the end.) She learned through experience. What she did that was right. What she did that was wrong. The filter she needed started to fall into place.

She still was outspoken. (I don't think you can get rid of that.) She still was Rose, but she was a different Rose. A wiser Rose. A Rose who knew better. Rose learns by experience, by seeing things turn out terribly. She learns from that. The things she learned in this book were what made her who she was in the end. A haunted soul, almost like Christian. (If that is even possible.)

The Adventure Begins (And Ends):

The plot was what drew me in. The plot had more action in this book. More tension. I had to continue the book. I read way more that I should have in one sitting. The plot was a roller coaster ride. The threat of Strigoi looming above. The attacks. The unrest with the Moroi. Those who wanted to fight versus those who wanted the guardians to fight. The characters were placed in the face of adversity. They had to fight back or surrender. It was their personal choice.
So much was happening in this book. The plot was fast-paced. It was great that it was fast, though. You had to keep reading to catch on to everything. You couldn't blink. Who was killed? What was their importance to someone else? What happened?

I'll Wait For You At the Gate:

The romance. This was what I expected. The ending scene was amazing. Those two bonding and becoming closer than ever. Dimitri showing he cared. Even if he knew he shouldn't love Rose. The chemistry started to grow.
They had problems. Dimitri couldn't be with Rose. Rose wanted to be with Dimitri. She kept wanting him. Her passion for him was crazy.
And the tension. Rose now had a competitor. And Dimitri acted differently. He joked more with Girl B. (Haha. Spoilers.) He was relaxed with her. The jealousy was apparent. (If only Dimitri saw...sigh...)
And Rose kept stringing along Mason. (It was expected. Book one had Mason crushing on Rose, and Rose wanted a distraction from Dimitri's rejection.) She did like Mason, though. Why didn't she just let Mason be, though?
I wanted Dimitri and Rose to talk more. I can see why they don't, though. Rose was busy being a teenager in a world of Strigoi, Moroi, and dhampirs. And Dimitri was busy being an adult.
I just wanted some ship action! Gimme!


Perks and Upgrades:

We met Rose's mom in this book. At first, I hated her like Rose did. She was never there. She was always cold and cut off from Rose. As the book progressed, I started to see Rose's mom as a person not just as a missing mom character. She had a personality as with all the other characters. She was quick on her feet. Smart. A great leader. I started to like her.
The moment I realized I gained respect for her mom as a mom was on the plane ride back to safety. She acted like a mother then. She held her child together as her child broke down. And I respected that.


_______________

Mason... When I read that part, I started to tear up. And what Rose's mom did on the plane? I started to tear up even more. The ending gave me feels.



No. The feels! 

It was terrible what Rose saw. And, as Dimitri has said time and time again, she really is a child sometimes. And children haven't seen struggle. Sure, she survived in the human world for a while with Lissa, but she hasn't seen true struggle. She hasn't seen death in the flesh.
She showed her loyalty in that scene. She stayed by his side through thick and thin. She wouldn't leave. And that showed that she cared about him even if she didn't love him.

“I can’t.” The words hurt coming out. “I can’t leave him alone. I have to protect him.” 
"You have,” said Dimitri.
Page 308 'Frostbite'

You Have Arrived at Your Destination:

The ending had such a bittersweet feeling to it. Rose went through so much in the ending. She lost so much. She gained some, but she lost more.
It was an action-filled ending. An ending with a lot of tension and fear. I was clinging to my phone. I was worried about the teens. What would happen to them? I had to force myself to read. I feared for them. Worried for them. (That is a terrible thing for me to go through but a sign of a great book.) And the escape slammed into me. It was terrible. I couldn't handle it. I started to tear up in grief. Rose's emotions were my own for a bit.
I wanted the ending to be different. I wanted Rose to be happier. I wanted to go and change the ending. (Which is rare, guys. I don't want to change endings often. Or at all. This book really affected me.) I hated how this book ended.
But, at the same time, I wanted more. Next book, please!

Overall, this was a great sequel. I got the action I wanted. The plot was interesting. Rose changed into a different person. There was the blooming romance. It was a solid sequel. A great follow-up to a great first book.
I can't wait for what happens next!


Rating:

4/5


No comments :

Post a Comment