Why I Dropped 'Battery'

Monday, July 18, 2016

Meet Takumi Harada—not even in junior high and he's the best pitcher in the region, although he's frustrated and ready to give up, because he can't find a catcher who is good enough to keep up with how he pitches in this backwater town his family has just moved to. Then along comes a kid named Gou Nagakura...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I didn't have enough summer 2016 anime to start a new First Episode Test post, I decided to rant on the first episode of 'Battery' instead.


I'm not a huge fan of sports anime. The only sports anime I like is 'Haikyuu', and it's one of my favorite animes. It sets a high standard for other sports anime. I constantly compared 'Battery' to 'Haikyuu'. Which I shouldn't but did anyways.


I have a lot of problems with 'Battery'. Too many that outweigh the positives. But the one positive made me have hope for this anime. That's why I put it on hold/dropped.




The main problem I have with this anime is Harada. He's such a douche. I refuse to say anything less. He's unbelievably rude. Not only to his brother but also his mother and Go. And none of them did anything to wrong him. He's so sassy, and I doubt there are Japanese kids that sassy TO THEIR PARENTS. It's so rude that I can't believe the writer thought that was okay. He's constantly in a bad mood, and I wanted to yell at him and shake him senseless. He made me so mad. 
And his face...it just looked strange next to Go's. There was something off, and I think it was his eyes. The rest of his face was fine. Really.


Another problem is his brother Seiha. Almost all his lines were obvious statements. "Oh, look. It's snow. It's cold." No duh, dude. Snow is cold. He needed a lesson in 'things that aren't redundant to say'. 
Plus, no offense to the seikyuu, but his voice made my skin crawl. It was so awkward.



And the only redeeming quality. Go.
He was amazing. He was nice and funny. And reminded me of Daichi from 'Haikyuu'. Which is a good thing. I loved his character. I only watched this episode to the end because of him. His unbridled hope was overpowering. I wanted more from him. Especially if he changes Harada's bad attitude.

Overall, I couldn't stand much of this anime. I might return to it later. Or not.

Are you watching 'Battery'? What are your thoughts?

No comments :

Post a Comment