Hot and Bothered: 'A Court of Mist and Fury' Review

Friday, September 16, 2016


A Court of Mist and Fury

Author: Sarah J Maas
Genre: Fantasy, New Adult, Young Adult, Romance
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Page Number: 640

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are three types of people who have read both 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' and 'A Court of Mist and Fury'. 
1) People who liked ACOTAR and liked ACOMAF.
2) People who didn't like ACOTAR but read ACOMAF and liked it.
3) People who didn't like either book.
Guess which one I'm in?
(If you guess option 3, you're correct!) 

Honestly, I didn't really like the world of the fae in this series. Something about the courts or whatnots. I wasn't a huge fan. Like most people who didn't like ACOTAR, I was peer pressured into reading this book. (Not by any one person in particular. Just ACOTAR fans as a whole.) There were aspects of the book I did like, though. (As there are with most books.)


I really liked the romance. Strange as it sounds. The two of them were very complicated together. Their relationship was strange. It was tense at first, but it changed completely by the end. Their banter was funny. I didn't expect to like it so much. Since I knew what would happen in the end (Or some part of it), I was surprised by the changes in their romance. It was cute seeing them come together and get close. I don't necessarily ship it, but I approve. 

The chemistry, though, was insane. My heart was racing whenever they had intimate scenes. 
I do want to acknowledge the sex scenes, though. They ARE there. And there are maybe...three or four of them. And they are pretty descriptive. They don't have vulgar language or anything, but they have words like 'cock' and stuff. A lot of it is implied. It's not straight up erotica. So if you don't know what sex is before this book, you'll definitely find out. (Also, was anyone else more 'hot and bothered' about Tamlin's sex scene and not Chapter 55's? Because...that's me. Strange...)

Rhysand was a broken character. My heart went out to him. Antiheroes are amazing, and I was completely caught off guard about his reasons for his actions Under the Mountain (Still wondering why we have to use capital letters for the U and M.) Feyre's acceptance of that is amazing. She felt for him. She understood him. Honestly, we need people who are like Feyre. She isn't the nicest person in the bunch, but she is caring. And that's a breath of fresh air.


On the other hand, I felt like I couldn't connect to the story. There was something about it that made me not connect. Maybe the characters or the more adult nature of the book...I'm not sure. But I didn't feel like Feyre was someone I could truly relate to or open up to. 


The plot was fine, but I felt like it could have been better. It was interesting to see Feyre come into her powers and seeing her argue with Rhysand, but I wanted more action. We had action scenes mostly at the end and scattered throughout the middle, but these weren't like the action scenes from the last book. Plus, who wouldn't want to see Feyre unleash her powers on someone?


At the end, we're given a completely random Rhysand chapter. The entire book is in Feyre's point of view, yet we get this ONE Rhysand chapter. Sure, it revealed some important information, but Feyre could have explained it on her own. Seems a tad redundant to me.


No comments :

Post a Comment