Lost in the Adventure: 'Let's Get Lost' Review

Friday, September 9, 2016


Let's Get Lost

Author: Adi Alsaid
Goodreads / Amazon


Five strangers. Countless adventures. One epic way to get lost. 

Four teens across the country have only one thing in common: a girl named Leila. She crashes into their lives in her absurdly red car at the moment they need someone the most. 

Hudson, Bree, Elliot and Sonia find a friend in Leila. And when Leila leaves them, their lives are forever changed. But it is during Leila's own 4,268-mile journey that she discovers the most important truth—sometimes, what you need most is right where you started. And maybe the only way to find what you're looking for is to get lost along the way.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've always wanted to go on a huge adventure. I have terrible wanderlust. My dream is to travel the world and speak all the languages. It's far-fetched, but it's something I would love to do. And books like this help me travel. Even if I'm not physically moving (Okay, I moved from the couch downstairs to the bathroom upstairs. But still.)

The main theme of this book was 'finding yourself'. All five characters were lost (As implied by the title.) They were lost in the confusion of life. I felt connected to each of them in their lost-ness. I, too, am lost. (But in a more mental sense than physical.) 
I really liked how the author portrayed this lost-ness. It felt...real. It felt as if I could be Hudson (Not that I'm some mechanic prodigy. I'm a laziness prodigy, though) or Bree (I don't have a sister) or Elliot (I'm not crushing on anyone right now, thank you very much) or Sonia (But I doubt I'd get ONE guy much less TWO.) And Leila's lost-ness was more lost than anyone else's. She was lost in her memories. And, man, did I feel for all of them. 
I'm happy that Leila was there. I'd quite like a Leila in my life to help me get un-lost. (I'm truly a wordsmith. Un-lost. Nice one.)

One of the main selling points for this book is its unique storytelling. It isn't told by Leila throughout but has chapters told by different people during different points of Leila's journey. And it rounds things out by giving you Leila's perspective at the end. 
You got a chapter to really connect with the characters. And I felt like this succeeded. I felt for all the characters. We saw them at their worst, and they kept fighting. It's amazing that this happened in such a short time period.

Leila was truly an intriguing character. She was lost, in almost every way imaginable. Physically and mentally and emotionally. I felt so bad for her. Even before I knew what happened to her. She was such a great character. I didn't share any personal traits with her, but I truly do want to be her friend. Or her to be my friend. Either way, I want us to be friends. She was a candle of hope in the dark. And who wouldn't want a candle to be their friend? (Oh wait...) 

I only really didn't like the ending. Sure, happily ever afters are great, but it fell flat for me. With this whole adventure, I expected fireworks and cannons and cheerleaders in a pyramid. I expected a lot more from the ending. It felt so...un-Leila. She went back, and love interest appeared. It's cute, I guess, but not shocking enough.

Verdict:
Lost in the adventure

No comments :

Post a Comment