Ask the Blogger: Brittany from Book Addict's Guide

Monday, July 6, 2015

Ask the Blogger

This time on Ask the Blogger...
I'll be interviewing Brittany owner of Book Addict's Guide!

Who is Brittany?

wedding_harry_potter


'My name is Brittany. I’m now in my late 20s but I’m really not all that freaked out about turning 30 (that’s a thing, right? I guess it’ll be weird to say I’m 30 but I’m not quite worried about that yet) and I live in what may better be known as the “exurbs” of Chicago (the outer suburbs, if you will) with my husband. We got married in November of 2014 and even on my wedding day, I was reading. (Ha!)'

What is the history of your blog's name?
When I first started my blog, I had a really hard time picking a name! It actually started off as "The Book Addict's Guide to Reading" since I had planned on posting reviews and offering recommendations and I had recently started a book buying problem that I didn't see stopping any time soon! That ended up being way too long (not to mention I totally hated it eventually) and I just shortened it to The Book Addict's Guide!

Why did you create your blog? 
I don't remember why I felt like reviewing on Goodreads wasn't enough but I wanted to create a place where people could go read my book reviews and maybe they'd be introduced to a new book. I think I wanted my own little space and I was excited to try out a blog!

How do you create your infographics? 
I do everything in Photoshop! Well, Photoshop Elements. I'm still totally a novice but I know how to do what I need to get them done :)

 I don't really have any special formatting to create them but when I made my first one, I spent a lot of time on Pinterest to see what might be a good-looking layout.

Here's a kiss, kill, or marry. Augustus Waters from 'The Fault in Our Stars'. Carswell Thorne from 'Cress'. Jace from 'City of Bones'. 
Well marry is obvious -- Hello, Captain Carswell Thorne! <3 Hmmm. I'd say kiss Augustus and kill Jace. Though I wasn't a huge fan of either!



What are your favorite top ten series? Favorite authors? 
Woo boy! I can do ten... In not TOO particular of an order... 
SERIES: 
  1. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
  2. The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
  3. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
  4. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
  5. If I Stay duology by Gayle Forman
  6. Just One Day duology by Gayle Forman
  7. The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
  8. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
  9. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
  10. The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch
I guess for authors just pick from those above!! Also, Rainbow Rowell, Stephanie Perkins, Emery Lord, Leila Howland, Liz Czukas, Sarah J. Maas, Robin LaFevers (okay, now I'm just cheating...) 

What was the coolest thing that happened to you because of book blogging?
Definitely meeting my best friends. I'm so fortunate to have met them and made such good friends this late in life. I feel like we've known each other forever and it's only been three years! We take trips to see each other, talk all day (every day), and they were bridesmaids in my wedding!



What is your favorite Disney movie? 
I guess Beauty and the Beast is my top... But it's so hard! It's always a three-way tie between that, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid but now I love Frozen too so...



What is your dream job?
Tough question! If I got it, would I still love it? I'd love to say blogging but then it becomes a job and not a hobby. Maybe bookstore owner? Provided that my bookstore could never go under? Haha! Or running a business with my husband.



If you could erase your memory of a book and read it anew, which book would you choose? 
Ooh good question. I'm not sure I'd really want to ERASE any of them! I love them too much! But I guess I'd love to re-read the Harry Potter books anew, like it was the first time. What magic that would be!



What suggestions do you have for new bloggers?
The best advice I could possibly give is just to have fun with your blog. It's a hobby. If you ever feel like it's work, change what you're doing. It's a fine line between addressing and gearing towards an audience and blogging FOR someone else. It took me a while to get in my groove (years?) and find my own voice. My other piece of advice is always read what you want! I made the mistake of requesting too many books (I think we've all been there!) and ended up forcing myself to read something just to have contact with a publisher. If it's a book I want to read, okay, but it's okay to pass on something and save yourself the grief of reading (or not finishing) a book that's not for you! Bottom line: blogging should always be fun! 

Thank you, Brittany!

No comments :

Post a Comment