Wren Rewrites: The Stars Never Rise

Friday, August 28, 2015
When I started The Stars Never Rise, I actually thought Finn and Maddock were the same person. (Until you were told otherwise.) Like dissociative identity disorder aka multiple personality disorder. I decided to write a little fan fiction about if TSNR had Maddock and Finn as the same person. (And it fits with Wren Rewrites too!)
Enjoy!

If Finn and Maddock were the same person

"Hey, stop kissing my boyfriend!" the girl yelled. I jumped back in alarm. She took one look at Finn and scowled. "It's you," she hissed in anger. She crossed her arms over her chest. "Give me back Maddock." Finn frowned. "It's not like I can control it, Devi," he explained. The girl Devi just glared at him.
"Can someone please explain what's going on?" I asked. I turned my attention to Finn. "Just explain," I begged.
"You didn't tell her?" Devi questioned. "Finn!"
"Sorry, there just wasn't time," Finn explained, flapping his hand about.
"You had time to lock lips, though?" Devi shrieked.
Finn rolled his eyes. "You always have time to make-out with Maddock," he muttered. Devi flipped him off casually.
"Someone please explain," I complained.
Devi pointed at Finn. "Let him," she said simply before turning and leaving the two of us alone. Finn smiled weakly.
"So," I said, "explain."
"Well...it's not that easy," Finn said, stalling for time.
I grabbed his shoulder tightly. "Finn." I stared into his eyes. "Tell me." Finn gulped nervously and raked a hand through his hair.
"Well," he began, "there's this thing. It's called dissociative identity disorder. Some people call it...multiple personality disorder."
"So?" I asked. "What does that have--oh." Understanding filled my mind.
Finn and Maddock were the same person.
Finn smiled sheepishly. "Sorry...sorry," he said. "I meant to tell you earlier, but I couldn't." He sighed in defeat and shrugged.
Suddenly, his focus shifted away from me. "Finn?" I asked, leaning in. Finn glanced at me.
"Uh...who are you?" he asked.
"Maddy!"
Devi raced into my line of sight. She threw her arms around Finn. I stumbled back in confusion. Devi smashed her face into Finn's, kissing passionately.
"What happened? Where's Finn? What are you doing?" I demanded.
Devi turned to me and smirked. "Maddy's back," she said in a singsongy voice.
"Who is 'Maddy'?" I cried, throwing my arms into the air.

"So," I said, "how does it work?" Grayson shrugged.
"There's no rhyme or reason," she explained. "It just happens. We've gotten used to it."
"Finn and Maddock are the same person." She nodded. "And they switch?" She nodded again. I groaned softly. "And I don't know when they will change." Grayson smiled sadly.
"That sucks," I said.
"Yup," she said. "It sucks."
I glanced at the bathroom where Devi and Finn-who-isn't-Finn went. And he kissed me with those lips... I shivered.
"Is there a way to stop it?" I asked.
"We've tried a lot of things. Finn and Maddock too," Grayson replied.
"Are there other personalities I need to know?" I asked.
Grayson bit her lower lip. "Well..." she began. I groaned again. "There's my boyfriend," she finished. I bit my lower lip. "Is he dating everyone?" I cried, sounding aghast. Grayson shrugged weakly. "He kinda is and kinda isn't. It's not Finn dating Devi. It's Maddock. And my boyfriend is someone else entirely." Grayson shrugged. "You get used to it." I gritted my teeth.
"I don't know if I can."

Finn-Maddock-and-whoever-else stepped out of the bathroom with only a towel on. Devi bounced past him and into the kitchen. I stared at the boy in front of me. His lean body. His boyish looks. I inhaled sharply. He was gorgeous. He smiled at me.
"How are you?" he asked.
"Finn?" I gasped. He grinned cockily at me.
I crossed my arms over my chest.
"You...you fooled me," I said.
"I didn't," he replied coolly. "I just didn't tell you."
"You're with two other girls," I cried.
Finn frowned. "Not me," he corrected. "Their boyfriends." I scowled and shook my head.
"Same difference."
"Nina, I'm not Maddock or Chase. Okay? I'm me. I'm Finn. You have to acknowledge the difference."
"I can't." I turned my back on Finn. Finn made a noise before striding off. I hugged my torso, tears welling up in my eyes. Finn wasn't Finn. He was someone else.

No comments :

Post a Comment