First Episode Test: Spring 2016 Anime 'Tanaka-Kun', Re:Zero', and 'Sakamoto'

Monday, June 27, 2016
First Episode Test: Spring 2016 Anime

I'm really bad at dropping animes. REALLY bad. I've only dropped...say five? And I'm going back to those. One day. 

So I decided to make the First Episode Test for me. It's a short questionnaire for me to answer for each anime I watch. (Unless I truly want to finish it.)
I'll start posting these in bunches when I get through different anime, so you can see my thoughts.

Below is the short questionnaire. It covers the main points I like to see in an anime. And if an anime gets this across in one episode, then it's solid. If it has some but not all of the points, I'll continue it. Cautiously, though.

1) Did I enjoy the episode?
2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
5) Do I like the art style?

We'll be applying this First Episode Test to the following spring 2016 anime. I haven't seen any of them before, but I've heard a lot about all of them. I decided to focus on 'Kiznaiver', 'Bungou Stray Dogs', and 'Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress' this spring instead of these other animes. But let's put them to the test.

Tanaka-kun wa Kyou mo Kedaruge (Tanaka-kun is Listless Today Too)


1) Did I enjoy the episode?
Overall...not too bad. It was funny and interesting. The plot might not be something, but I'm getting the overall impression of a good comedy anime.
2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
I laughed a lot. Tanaka tried so hard so be lazy. And his laziness is hilarious. He fell off a chair for goodness sake and put off going to the dentist because he was lazy.
3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
The plot seems to be Tanaka going through daily life stuff with Ohta helping him. There isn't much to go on plotwise. Unless we're adding in some romance with that creepy stalker girl at the end.
4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
Tanaka is hilarious. He tries so hard to be lazy. Which isn't lazy at all. Ohta is great. I really like him. He's like Tanaka's mom or something. And the friends? They were pretty funny too. But I feel like they won't get a lot of screentime.
5) Do I like the art style?
Yes, it's gorgeous. It has very muted colors and a very soft palette. It really works for this anime.

Verdict: I will continue Tanaka-kun. When I have the time. I promised to watch 'Tokyo Ghoul Root A' next so...

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (Re:Zero Starting Life in Another World) 
Re:Zero episode one is broken into two parts, so I only watched 1A the first part.


1) Did I enjoy the episode?
Sorta? Not really? 
2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
Sure, it was funny. Puck and Subaru both had comedic lines. But I didn't feel like I got anything out of it.
3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
The plot is okay? The episode is divided, so we didn't see the death scene or anything. But if we're repeating this over and over, I doubt I'll care.
4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
Subaru was funny. I really liked him. He entered this fantasy world and spouted NEET stuff. I mean, I would too. He was the typical otaku. But he is somehow fit? I'm confused. NEETs stay inside unless they need food or doujinshi. So I disagree. Puck was so funny. I loved this little cat spirit. But Satella...not so much. She spoke too fast and has almost not personality. All I know about her is that she cares. That's it. 
5) Do I like the art style? 
Sure, it's fine. Subaru looks a little strange, but I guess I'm used to the Tamaki Suohs of the world.

Verdict: I'll finish this if I have nothing else to watch. I'm not particularly interested right now.

Sakamoto desu ga? (Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto)


1) Did I enjoy the episode?
Not really? 
2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
I laughed. A little. But I mostly was raising an eyebrow at things.
3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
It just seems like a lot of pranks from the guys. Then, Sakamoto being all cool and one-upping them. So no real plot.
4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
I got to know the side characters more than Sakamoto. And I have a feeling this is how the entire anime is like. Sakamoto won't get a lot of info or backstory. I kinda hate how 'cool' he is. It's not that cool in my opinion.
5) Do I like the art style?
It's fine...Sakamoto is really bishie. That's all.

Verdict: I'm definitely not going to continue this anime. I just don't like it.

Have you seen any of these animes? What are your thoughts?

No comments :

Post a Comment