First Episode Test: Summer 2016 Pt. 1 ('Hatsukoi Monster', 'Morose Monokean', and 'Orange')

Thursday, July 7, 2016
Today, we have another First Episode Test (or FET for short.) Some awesome summer anime started this weekend (Or last weekend?). I got back from my Arizona trip and watched these to share my thoughts with you all!

Hatsukoi Monster



1) Did I enjoy the episode?
I don't know? It's hard to say. I was freaking out over how CREEPY it was. 

2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
I was freaked out. Does that count? So many things about this anime are childish and rudimentary. It seems like a show for kids, not people my age. (Sure, teenagers make butt jokes, but this is pushing it.)

3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
Uh...not really? We already had a big reveal. What is going to happen next? Valentine's Day stuff? I can't tell.

4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
Uh...they're weird. Kanade is way too childish, but he has an interesting backstory. Or a possible backstory. Why is he in the fifth grade? What happened to his mom? Kaho is just boring. She's blushes too much and get heated over things I'm used to. I mean...who cares if they say weiner? I understood the second they said it. So...what's the big deal? 

5) Do I like the art style?
No. I really don't. Kaho's eyes are WAY too big, and Kanade's face just looks wrong. I can't tell what it is exactly. And, just saying, Kaho looks like Ririchiyo from 'Inu x Boku SS'.

Verdict:
I feel so creepy watching this. I'm dropping it. NOW.

Morose Monokean



1) Did I enjoy the episode?
Yes, I did. Thoroughly.

2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
I laughed a lot. Abeno and Ashiya's interactions are so weird. Abeno is so aloof which makes Ashiya's beggings funny. And I 'aw'ed a lot. I mean...that fuzzball was the cutest thing. I loved it.

3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
Hm...I guess. I feel like this anime will be very 'Natsume's Book of Friends'. Aka it'll be more episodic than have an overarching plot. Which is fine. But there is the promise of an overarching plot with Abeno looking strangely at Ashiya when Ashiya says his name. 

4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
Ashiya is so clueless. He's one of those characters who is klutzy and confused 100% of the time. Which is kinda endearing. Abeno is very aloof. Which makes him mysterious. I want to know more about this man. 

5) Do I like the art style?
Yes. I do. I like Abeno's hair especially. My only problem is the switch between a more realistic style to this sort of...shadow puppet style. It happened when the gate to the Underworld showed up. And the stylized clouds just looked out of place, and the effect was kinda jarring.

Verdict:
Definitely going to continue this one. It's funny and a relaxing anime to chill with.

Orange



1) Did I enjoy the episode?
Yes, I did.

2) Did I get something out of this episode? Did I laugh or cry or smile? 
Actually, I almost cried. Mostly because I know what'll happen. It's like 'Your Lie in April'. You can just tell. Okay...I kinda found a spoiler one day but still! I spoiled 'Your Lie in April' for myself and still bawled like a baby. This anime just seems so emotional, you know?

3) Does the plot seem promising? Is there good rising action and a possible conflict? Or is just mindless blah blah?
I guess? It's the story of Kakeru and Naho falling in love. Or so I see. And Kakaeru is probably sick. With probably cancer. So...it's predictable. But how they work it will change things.

4) Do I like the characters? Do they have interesting backstories? Do they have interesting personalities and motivations?
It's weird. But I disliked Naho at first. She seemed...Mary Sue-ish. Until she talked to Kakeru as he bandaged her foot. I just...I saw me. I saw the part of me that doesn't care what I feel for myself. And it hurt a little. Seeing me. And Kakeru is interesting. He's happy. He's not an aloof, mopey child like Abeno from 'Morose Monokean'. He's...happy. I wonder how he'll change.

5) Do I like the art style?
It's fine. It reminds me of 'Ao Haru Ride' (Which I haven't seen). Maybe it's the same mangaka. I wouldn't be surprised...

Verdict:
I'm going to keep watching this until the end. 

Have you seen the first episode for these animes? What do you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment