Tomato Talks: Episode 3: Why I Sometimes Hate Reading Books About Mental Illness

Thursday, March 10, 2016


Today I talked about mental illnesses and other personal-ish stuff.

This came about because of The Memory of Light which is about a girl who attempted suicide. I started to think about my feelings towards mental illness books. (Just saying, I use mental health books and mental illness books interchangeably. By this, I mean, books that have a character with a mental illness.)
So...mental illness books. 

They kinda are part of my life now. My best friend has depression. I have other friends with different mental illnesses. I only recently started learning about 'reality'. And that includes mental illnesses. And I'm still not sure the right term. (I use disorders and illnesses interchangeably.)
I began to think about this two years ago. I was carefree and innocent before that. I never thought about the real things that make the world go round and round.

But I don't particularly love them. I mean...I do love that they exist. If you have a mental illness, you can relate to a character with the same illness. You can feel for them, and they can be your strength. 
If there was a book about someone like me, I'd definitely love it. I'd read it and cherish it. Even if the writing style is awful...okay...not true. 

And why don't I like them at times?
I think too much about it. I think too much into it. I try to match myself up to these mental illnesses. Am I depressed? Do I have an anxiety disorder? What am I?
And I hate putting myself in a box. But I do it instinctively. Why? I have no clue. Why do we do anything?
I'm just trying to figure out who I am. 
Who is Wren? Who am I? 
And it's something I've been thinking about for two years.
And I think I might always be wondering the answer to the question we all want to know the answer to. 

And apologies for random typing sounds because I was looking up some facts.
And I overuse schizophrenia as an example...but it's not true. I'm just paranoid.
And I switch back and forth between agreeing and disagreeing. So...sorry.
And I kinda get dark at the end...sorry..
And sorry for apologizing so much...wait.

No comments :

Post a Comment