Aesthetic Addict: 'Dumplin'

Monday, July 11, 2016

My group (Team Teal) decided to do aesthetic posts for different books based on a theme. This month's theme was: contemporary. My chosen book was Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. 

Here's a little about the book.

Dumplin'

Self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson (dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked…until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.

Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Clover City beauty pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does. Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.

With starry Texas nights, red candy suckers, Dolly Parton songs, and a wildly unforgettable heroine—Dumplin’ is guaranteed to steal your heart.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book is pretty amazing. I gave it a 5/5. It was so body positive, and I really loved that. 

Here's a little snippet of my review!

"Something that definitely resonated with me was Will's insecurities. She wasn't perfect. She didn't adore her body. She felt self-conscious when Bo touched her. 
With that, I have to say that she felt real. Normal people have insecurities. They hate their eyebrows or lips or nose or whatever. It makes them human. 
I felt like anyone could have her body and insecurities. As I said, she felt real.
And, on top of that, I have my own insecurities. Here's a little story to put things into perspective. I was working on some short answers in English. My teacher is the teacher who constantly barrages you with positive attitude stuff, as if telling you these would change your attitude around. When she came by my table and whispered, "Hey, Wren," I looked up. She pointed at a written sign on a legal pad that said simply 'awesome=you :)'. And it felt like the most positive thing someone said to me in a while. I know that sounds like I'm fishing for compliments. I'm not. That's just how my life has been, how it always has been. Those who love themselves more than I do might be wondering how this possible. I think the recipe involves the hope for all As, the need to get into the best programs, a lot of pressure, and a lack of praise. "

If you want to check out the rest of my review, look no further! Here you go!

And...now...onto my aesthetic! 


Let's go through all the pictures and explain why I used what I did. 

The top left picture is of Dolly Parton. She's one of the main forces that drives Willowdean. She's an inspiration for Willowdean.

Next to that is a picture of a fancy-looking fast food place. Bo and Willowdean meet at a fast food place. And that is obviously the best place to meet a cute boy.

Below Dolly is a picture of a girl in a swimsuit. A well-known quote by Willowdean is as follows:

It's a different mindset about swimsuits and swimsuit bodies.

Next to that is a picture of holding hands. I think it really summarizes Willowdean and Bo's slow and sweet relationship. Plus, I love silhouette photos.

Under the swimsuit is a picture of a crown. This book is about a pageant and Willowdean entering it even though it seems against tradition for a bigger girl to do so. And a crown is kinda important to the pageant world. 

Next to that is a red dress. Not the same one Willowdean wore, but it was the best I could find! For the pageant, Willowdean wears a red dress, and I think it shows that you don't have to be skinny to rock a nice dress.

I hope that explains my decisions for the photos! 

I don't own any of these pictures. The rights go to their owners.

And here are my team mates! 
Jamie from Books and Ladders
Nori from ReadWriteLove28

I hope you enjoyed this aesthetic. Come back next month for a new aesthetic from a new theme! Ciao!

No comments :

Post a Comment